The Union School, District No. 42, was built in 1847 by subscription. It was originally located on Wheeler Road in Nau-Au-Say Township. Pupils came from as far away as Plattville, 4 miles south. The first teacher was Dr. William P. Richardson, a graduate of Harvard, who taught the first winter for no pay. The school was moved to Lyon Farm in 1976.